Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reading, and more reading

That's what I've been doing this summer while Jake is at work and I look for a job. I was happy to graduate last month, but that also meant that I was no longer employed. I've been applying like crazy for student service jobs at universities in several different states, and it is exhausting. I've also applied for a few part-times here in Las Cruces, but it would be great if it didn't come down to that

The good news is, I did have an interview two days ago with the University of Iowa! Iowa seems kinda random, right? Well the reason I started looking in Iowa City was because Jake had applied for a promotion with his company that would place us in Iowa City. He did not get it, but we became interested in the area anyway, and I came across an open position at the university that I met all the requirements for and that I would be good at and enjoy (I think). So, to my excitement, I received a call from them last Wednesday and was interviewed over Skype on Monday. It's hard to say how the interview went. I was incredibly nervous, and struggled with a couple "hypothetical scenario" questions they asked me, but I think they liked me and I hope I made up for the difficult ones with a few impressionable responses... So while I hoped I made an impression, I'd also be terrified to move to Iowa City. I've never lived more than 5 1/2 hours away from my family in Los Alamos, and I can't stand the thought of being 20 hours away.

But anyway, while I look for and apply for jobs nearly every day, it is mentally exhausting and so I've been doing a lot of leisure reading, something I couldn't do much of during school! It's great to read something that isn't full of theories and discussions of validity/reliability. Don't get me wrong, I kinda miss the academic materials (wait, what did I just say??), but it's nice to not have to critically think about what I just read. Also, it's been too stinking hot here to be able to go on comfortable walks or to the park to pass the day, so between running errands, I've been holed up in the apartment. I did visit my family for 5 days, and that was great so do something else. So far this summer I have read the entire Hunger Games series, House Rules by Jodi Picoult (a favorite author), and am currently reading a John Grisham novel called Playing For Pizza. I'd also like to re-read the Harry Potter series and check out some more Jodi Picoult books. If you have read something great recently, I gladly take suggestions! I like many genres, so fire away!

No comments: