Thursday, June 28, 2012

Back to candles

Yesterday, while watching a movie to help pass the long afternoon hours, I lit a few wax candles and ended up playing with the melted wax. I'm obviously running out of ways to entertain myself these days. Anyway, it made me realize how long it's been since I've made some gel candles, so as soon as the movie was over, I pulled out my supplies, which were a bit dusty, and got to work. For Christmas I got a couple Hobby Lobby gift cards and had bought a big bucket of candle gel, but have not touched it since. So between yesterday and today I have made 4 complete candles and decorated 3 candle holders that I will fill at a later time. The problem is, I have a lot of completed candles, but don't want them all to myself. Not that we don't have enough clutter anyway. So if any of these look like they would complement your house well, or would make a nice gift for someone you know, please let me know! I don't have prices for any of these at the time, but we can work something out :)

Potpourri always makes me think of my mom. She always put potpourri in dishes when we were growing up, and still does. She even set up potpourri dishes in us kids' apartments when we went off to college. Anyway I had this potpourri dish (no doubt because of my mom's doing) and thought I'd make it a little more interesting. This is one way you can use flammable items with gel candles. This one isn't for sale, because I like my potpourri dish and I already started burning it :) But if you like it enough, I could get more materials and recreate it! The gel is rose-scented.


I had this container that held a store-bought candle in it before, and the company's name is inscribed into the jar. So I tied this cute bow and hot-glued it over the name. Once the gel burns down some, you will probably be able to see the wording if you look on the inside of the candle, but I think I was pretty resourceful :) This one is lavender scented, to go with the color. It would be cute for a girl's room.


This one is a light blue gel with blue river gems at the bottom.

 And looking into it...

For this one, I haven't decided if I will turn it into a gel candle, or just use it as a tealight or votive candle holder. I did this with a vase one time. Just wrapped and hot-glued hemp all the way around. If you want this, you can buy it as is to use as a holder or ask me to make it into a gel candle. Here you see it as a tealight holder. It looked kinda cool with the light flickering through the hemp.



This one was my first attempt at making a multicolored candle. There are three different shades of blue. It turned out ok, but next time I think I will use colors that are more obviously different.

 The three different shades are a little more obvious in the below picture, because of the angle and the neutral background of my placemat :)

And here are two Christmas candle holders! I haven't filled them yet because I'm waiting until it is closer to the holiday season so that they don't get dusty and the gel doesn't move (I once kept a gel candle stored at an angle, and eventually the gel took that form :P) I got the Christmas ribbon and holly decorations from a garage sale a couple weeks ago when I was visiting my family. Aren't they neat? I think when I fill them I might use red or green coloring, or maybe just clear gel, and scent it with cinnamon, or evergreen, or something else Christmas-y. I like that the first one has a lid to keep dust and bugs out.

  
The one below could also be a simple but pretty votive candle holder, rather than filling it with gel. Hmmm...


And lastly, there is this cute one in a tin with a lid! I think I may have posted a picture of this one sometime ago, but I took off the green ribbon it had and replaced it with blue to go with the blue gel. I don't know why I originally put green. It also has black marbles at the bottom.


Let me know what you think!


No comments: