Tuesday, July 24, 2012

But I will miss some things here...

Yesterday I wrote about how Jake and I are sooo ready to get out of Las Cruces. And it's true, and I won't miss Las Cruces in general. We're just over the people in general and the culture and the climate (although, even though the Iowa City area is supposed to be milder climate, lately it's been experiencing a heat wave, so at times it's been even hotter than it is here, plus it's humid. But oh well). However, there are some things that have made my heart ache about this move.

1. Some restaurants. Okay, my heart isn't really aching about restaurants, but I will miss the following: a) Mesilla Valley Kitchen- where else will I get a breakfast of scrumptious MVK spuds? b) Red Brick Pizza - This is a chain, but only in a handful of states, of which do not include Iowa :( So long, Italian Fhazzani sandwich. c) Blake's Lotaburger! Of course, this is all over New Mexico. Best green chile burgers. d) Pic Quik- yes, a gas station/convenience store chain in southern NM, but what I'll miss about them is their Santa Fe Grill Medicine Man burritos. 

2. My bestie Erin! She lives down here with her husband and we've been getting together for weekly coffee chats and just started going to yoga together recently, before I found out about the job. It seemed like it was going to be a fun tradition of ours, and now I'm bailing out. However, she has been applying to PA schools all over the country, so she may not be here much longer either. I just hope we'll end up close to each other again sometime, because we've decided to make our kids be best friends, too.

3. NMSU and many of its people. I didn't really feel sad at all until a couple nights ago. Jake and I went on a long walk, and on the way back, walked through the campus. So many memories came back ad I got really nostalgic. I kept thinking "Here is the horseshoe lawn where I got stuck in the mud walking to biology lab, and that guy on the bike rode by and just laughed at me," "Here is where I went to moonlight mass that one time," "Here are the steps where Jake took a photo of my sister and I," "There's Frenger food court where I all too frequently bought a mocha and read the campus newspaper my freshman year," "There's the grassy area where Jake and I shared Chinese food, a couple days before we started dating, where he told me how pretty I looked that day" "There's the Speech building, where I pretty much spent 90% of my time during the last two years and had to insist on not doing a thesis, much to the dismay of my advisor" and so on. I have a lot of memories from the campus, and I am sad to be leaving it behind.

4. And finally, White Sands. Where I came alone once freshman year, because I was feeling down and meant to drive around Las Cruces but ended up driving all the way to the national monument. Where I spent time with my new friend Jake. Where I came several times with my boyfriend Jake. And where I became the wife-to-be of Jake, who knelt in front of me at sunset and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him.

I will miss all of these. But I know that Iowa will bring more memories and things to hold on to, because it will be another chapter in our lives.

No comments: